Blue Apron Café -  9

 15/01/23

I was supposed to start with Airlie Café being the first café at the lowest part of Upper Heidelberg Road. But when I got there they were closed. So I've ventured across the road to my second from last café.

First Impression is the coffee looks and smells great.


FYI - for my "research" I'll be ordering a large decaf cappuccino since that is what I normally order full caff.

That is a nice cup of coffee. The froth was velvety and not a ridiculous amount. Not the strongest coffee flavour I've had, but it's definitely there and good quality.

The coffee was also steaming as I drank which is always a good sign it will nice and hot, and not cool down immediately.

A bit of back story...

I am by trade a medical receptionist and class A coffee snob. I am currently on maternity leave but still very much a coffee snob.

Perhaps more so now because I've been drinking decaf since just before we fell pregnant with out now six and a half month old daughter in Sept/Oct 2021.

Before this I was always of the opinion that decaf was always a bit of a "why bother". But, since I am a tea and coffee drinker and didn't want to give up either due to the amount of caffeine affecting my unborn child I opted for decaf. 

Given that I won't not drink coffee unless I have gastro or something this would have been a long time for me to go coffee free.

Now, I know what you are thinking...

"Sarah you gave birth in June 2022, why on earth are you still drinking decaf?!?"

Well... for the simple reason that I'm still breastfeeding. And to those who don't know caffeine (like so many other things like alcohol) passes through the breastmilk. Therefore your baby can consume it through you if enough time for you to metabolise it has not passed. And nobody wants a baby bouncing off the walls, refusing to sleep and becoming a grouchy coffee addict like her mother. Well, not yet anyway... 

A bit of further backstory...

I have clinical depression and grew up in Ivanhoe. And no, those two things are not related, just both facts about me. My husband, daughter and myself also moved in with my parents mid October 2022, but more on that later.

Of late I have completely lost myself and couldn't even fathom how to be happy again. I had an appointment with my psychologist yesterday and she insisted I get off my phone and try to find something, anything I could do to spark my old interests again.

When I was out with my family yesterday having a terrible coffee it hit me like a tonne of bricks. I needed to search for the best decaf coffee, starting in Ivanhoe.

Given my past who better to do this than me, apart from of course my dad.

The best part is I can bring my baby on some of these adventures and scope out if a venue is pram friendly for other families.

So, stay tuned for more coffee/café insights and to find out what's going on with me (if you find that interesting).

Until next time - Coffee good, not pram friendly

Edit: My rating:

  • Pram friendly - 0
  • Coffee flavour - 1
  • Coffee look - 1
  • Price - $5.50 = 1
  • Friendly/atmosphere - 1
Total: 4/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog